Wellness Home Care’s Simple Fall Prevention Tips
Falls in the home are a leading cause of hospitalizations for older adults. In fact, 60% of falls occur in the home, and, for frail seniors, a fall can be a life-altering event. Home modifications can be a huge help in fall prevention, and can be anything from simply removing rugs to prevent slips, or more involved changes, such as installing a stair lift or elevator to improve accessibility.
If you think that home modifications are in order for your loved one, the following are some simple modifications that can be made to reduce the risk of falls and enhance mobility.
• Install low pile carpet or skid-proof tile
• Remove rugs, or secure them with non-skid tape
• Use a contrast in color with paint, carpet and furniture to denote changes in surface types or levels
• Avoid using floor polish
• Replace bulbs regularly to make sure there is adequate illumination in the home
• Use nightlights or motion sensor lights for better visibility at night
• Reduce the amount of electrical cords running across large areas
• Install grab bars on walls around the tub and beside the toilet, strong enough to hold your weight
• Add nonskid mats or strips to bathtubs
• Mount liquid soap dispenser on the bathtub wall
• Install a portable, hand-held shower head
• Add a padded bath or shower seat
Throughout the Home:
• Arrange furniture so that it is easy to navigate around
• Remove wheels from furniture for more stability in case the senior needs to grip it for balance
• Make sure everyday appliances are within reach
The home care experts at Wellness Home Care can help you evaluate your home or your loved one’s home and make suggestions and modifications as needed to help prevent a dangerous fall. Contact Wellness Home Care at (845) 294-8364 in Goshen, Newburgh, Liberty, Suffern, or White Plains to learn more about how we can help care for your loved ones at home.